Reloading Forum - Ammunition Reloading
November 27, 2014, 08:05:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lee 4 hole turret,will it handle large rifle rounds?  (Read 984 times)
matt1911

« on: March 24, 2013, 08:33:41 AM »

At the moment, I'm reloading 45acp,223,and 9 mm. I will be loading 30-06, 7.62 x 54r, and 8 x 57 in the near future. My Lee does just fine on pistol calibers, a little bit of hassle on the 223. Is there enough stroke for large rifle rounds? Is it "heavy duty" enough? I half plan on getting a single stage for these type rounds,but if I can save the bench space...

Matt
daboone

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »

I've never reloaded 30/06 size cases on either style of Lee turrets. I do however collet neck size 7.62x54R on the a Lee Classic turret.  (I have to jury rig a 308 collet die to do the neck sizing and the CO-AX will not allow the "jury rig" to fit on it.) I'm certain I could do this russian on the classic turret.

However I will encourage you, if you can afford it, to get a single stage press. I'm a firm believer in the single stage press, be it a CO-AX or any "C" or "O" frame press be it Lee, RCBS or Hornady, Redding or one of the several old work horses like a Herters. There is ALWAYS a NEED for the single stage even if you go progressive.

Another reason is bottle necked cases require more steps to be brought up to perfection. Decapping, then cleaning, case prep, priming, charging, seating, and maybe crimping.  Yes they can be done on a turret or a progressive, but the real control comes with batch reloading and oversight and that, Sir, is the recommendation for a single stage, control, inspection and quality. Not bad rules for any reloading practice. But if you just want to plink and shoot without concern for accuracy then forget what I babble on about the single stage. Tongue

daboone
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. Thomas Jefferson
saddlebum

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:30:48 AM »

The Lee Classic Turret, with removal of the auto index black (thingy) will have enough room to load large rifle rounds. I've personally reloaded some 30-30 and 45-70 on mine just to see if it would.....it will....other than that little "experment", I reload all my rifle rounds on a single stage press with a "modified" batch system using an RCBS Chargemaster. I completely agree with daBoone....a single stage for control and accuracy. However, I'm thinking of trying to find a good system for loading 223 on a progressive as they seem to become "unloaded" rather quickly...
BW64

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 01:10:33 PM »

saddlebum@ I use my 4 Lee hole turret for my .223 plinker loads with Lee dies & Lee auto disc  pro powder dispenser. Has not failed me yet after about 3000 rounds!

BW
trapper500

Love Hunting Reloading & General Shooting

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »

I use my Lee Classic Turret on handgun rounds & i use my Lyman Crusher II for all of my rifle rounds & i hand load my 44 Magnum loads that i hunt with i am sure that the LCT would do a good job for my 44 mag hunting loads but i have always used a single stage for all of my rifles

If You Don't Stand For Something You Will Fall For Anything
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: