Reloading Forum - Ammunition Reloading
April 16, 2014, 08:35:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lee Classic Turret Press (Advice, Tips & Tricks)  (Read 1134 times)
lamerem

« on: May 30, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »

Hey guys I'm green to reloading and just ordered a new Lee Classic Turret Press & 40S&W 4-Die set.  I also ordered the Lee Pro Auto Disc Powder (also got the pro auto disc riser) and Lee Safety (on press) priming system.  I did order the Pro Auto Disc Adjustable Charge Bar.  I'm a machinist by trade and lets just say the adjustable charge bar is right up my ally so to speak.  Anyway, I would like to hear from some experienced and newbies about their trials and tribulations with the LCT press.  I think I speak for a lot of guys and gals here when I say this would be great knowledge.  We can watch Lee's videos all day long but maybe some of you have perfected the use of these presses.  Any tips and tricks or just plain old advice about anything to do with the components I've listed would be greatly appreciated. 

Thus far I've really learned a lot through searching this forum and find it very entertaining to read.
saddlebum

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:41:15 AM »

Not to many "tricks" to the LCT,(read the instructions on how NOT to destroy the little black square thingy that does the indexing) if you're using the Safety prime with the press adjustment is the key to good performance (may have to add a washer)..the Pro disc measure is a good measure..take it apart and remove the elasomer wiper, get some 600 grit sandpaper and on a flat surface lightly sand the bottom (black part that mates to the discs) to smooth  and "square up" (this will also give "closer" contact between the hopper body and discs and eliminate "leakage" with fine powders )...do the same with the bottom of the adjustable charge bar. Take a #2 pencil and coat the entire top of the charge bar. Put all back together, open the charge bar fully, run at least one full hopper of powder through the measure one throw at a time..
mikld

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »

Well, I really like my Lee turret. I disabled the auto index several years ago (can't remember why, prolly 'cause I prefer to reload in batches). For a new reloader, I would suggest the same. Just remove the black plastic thingy and advance the turret by hand. When you have a handle on the whole process, then you can restore the auto index if you want to (many don't).

I also wouldn't recommend an auto-anything for a beginner as I think a learner must learn what they are doing with each step, how it is done, and why. Some people can handle automatic reloading right off, but most don't need the added frustration of figgering out auto primer feeds and auto powder charges.

jes my experience from stuffin' brass for 30+ years...

daboone

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 02:21:02 PM »

Take your sweet time, be patient, do NOT rush things. I don't care what press, measure, scale or other tool you get it will have a learning curve.

What you'll learn is:
 how it feels
 sounds
 what amount of pressure it takes to make it function
 and what rhythm you and the tool likes.

You'll also find what it takes to cause a malfunction, typically by your own errors and by pushing it to FAST and Hard, etc.

Lot of folks get pissed at a tool before they learn to use it properly. It's a tool and it will require lube and it has it's limitations. The user is usually the biggest one.

daboone
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. Thomas Jefferson
lamerem

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 01:09:19 AM »

A very good point was mentioned "lube"!  What are you guys lubing with and what parts do you lube and how much?  Also, how often are you lubing?  Do either of you dismantle the press down to the casting for PM work?  What die and powder measure maintenance do you perform?
daboone

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 06:57:28 AM »

In the world of guns it seem that people go a little crazy in more ways than just components. The gun lube market is fill with all kinds a very expensive WONDER LUBEs. Good old white lithium grease and Mobil 1 are are far as I go up that ladder of advertisement claims. Also a tube of graphite powder is nice to have on hand for powder measures.

Tools, dies, measures, presses do need to be cleaned and lubed from time to time. Be careful with dies and oil where they can contaminate the interior of the case and powder.   

daboone
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. Thomas Jefferson
saddlebum

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 10:52:13 AM »

I wipe down the ram every time I use the press, reoil with a bit of Hoppes gun oil by running a "bead" around the base where the ram runs through, cyle a few times, wipe off the base of excess...plus any "crud" that shows up on the bottom of the ram...white lithium grease very lightly where needed...spray can of Slick 50 oil on ram handle pivot points..again, very lightly..wipe off any excess from press...(dust and dirt collector)
trapper500

Love Hunting Reloading & General Shooting

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 06:31:57 AM »

I just got my Lee Cassic Turret Press yesterday morning & i spent most of the day lubing everything up good & then i had forgotten to order the daggummed riser that the press needs so the dies & measure to clear the Lee Saftey Prime . I must admit that this press is massive & cycles as sommth as silk Lee has knocked a grand slam with Cassic Turret I went to our local gunshop & ordered the Lee Riser thati didn't order . If anyone is wanting a good built & good working press look no further than The Lee Classic Turret Press . I wound up loading 50 rounds of 9mm & got everthing adjusted & tweeked to the place that will work best for me .

If You Don't Stand For Something You Will Fall For Anything
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: